Friday, my art quilt group met and we worked on our group project. I am tediously tweaking my small groups of leaves and glue-basting them down in prep for zigzagging the edges with monopoly clear thread. So, over the weekend I took a little break and dove into our modern quilt guild’s latest challenge. We each have a baggie of scraps from Cotton+Steel. Now, I usually only use white fabric for red-white-blue Quilts of Valor but this challenge had a stipulation of adding only more Cotton+Steel fabrics and/or solids. Not wanting to buy any additional fabric, I pulled out the two solids I had that would work. Polyester. Agghh. But, it worked. Here are my trial layouts. I pretty much used the fabric scraps as is, squaring up the edges. This included one wof strip that I was able to get a 3/4-inch width of, just enough for a small flap.
There was also a good selvedge with the logo that happened to fit within some of the piecing–sometimes happy little accidents happen.
In my previous posts about turning under leaf edges, I think I failed to mention the method I finally ending up using. In this instance, I cut out a freezer paper circle, ironed it to the right side of the fabric, and turned the edges under, following the template. Clip as necessary. Here is my little iron with the stand I made for it–the flimsy plastic clover stand never stayed put, so I used some little wood pieces to enclose it. This little circle was in my bag of scraps.
I also cut out some small motifs from another scrap, ironed them to a backing using Ultra-Hold Heat-n-Bond. The edges will not ravel but you don’t want to sew through it–it will gum up your machine. I will attach these, probably with beads, after the quilting is finished.
Here is the final layout–just needs quilting and binding.
So that’s it for today. Oh, I found these socks at Belk and couldn’t resist. I do hope you will only feel like screaming for joy today. Till next time, do something, even if it’s wrong.