It’s easy being green
Green was popping up everywhere last week. This is 2.5 pounds of packing paper that came in a box of late Christmas presents. All I can think of is a papier mache dragon. Where’s the chicken wire?
Then I found a newcomer in the common area (Queen Anne’s Lace). Some people here complain about them growing on the side of the road, but they are one of my favorites. They dry well for floral arrangements. They also do not bloom until August in Minnesota.
The vines are incredible here, especially in years when we get rain after June 1. We have several varieties including Virginia Creeper–I haven’t learned the difference between that and the poison oak yet. I guess they can become a nuisance and invasive, but I’m glad they cover the scraggly looking black walnut trees. There seems to be a line of demarcation between here and Missouri as I don’t notice vines growing there on our trips north.
But wait, there’s more. I redid the green portion of my orange slice–it needed to be longer and I didn’t have enough fabric to just add on so I ripped the piecing out and cut up 3-inch squares of two green fabrics and pieced them back together. I added a 2-inch strip to every other row so I wouldn’t have to match up seams and pressed all the seams open to make it lie as flat as possible. Chain piecing (reminds me of prayer flags):
One more green item. I took a personality test some years back and I ended up in the green category, green meaning that I fit in with five percent of the population. It’s a wonder that I get along with so many people being that 95% of the population most likely think I’m weird. Why be normal?
In an effort to do something on my orange slice, I decided to make a fiber leaf. I took all of my otherwise useless orange scraps and cut them with the rotary cutter. When you do this, be sure to put your other hand in your pocket or use a wooden stylus to hold the fabric.
Then I used a piece of cheese cloth as a base and added fibers and threads from my orange collection. (I usually throw a piece of cheese cloth in the container when I dye fabrics.) On top of that I put in some gold thread for a little sparkle.
Finally I sandwiched it all between two pieces of heavy duty water-soluble stabilizer, stitched around the edges to hold it together, traced the leaf shape with a line of stitching, and then free-motion stippled the entire piece. I finished the edges with satin-stitching, rinsed out the stabilizer and let it dry overnight. I don’t know if I’ll actually use this leaf in my slice but it will be used somewhere.
I’m couching some orange cotton yarn scraps for veins.
One of the Cotton+Steel fabrics on my design wall was really bothering me so I sewed the ends together to make this eyeless creature. Then I started sewing the other scraps together in coordinated subsets. This may sound constructive but it was actually an avoidance maneuver.
I still do not know why I have had so much trouble being excited about my orange slice. Perhaps because it was such slow going with all the tiny pieces. Now that I have added slime green and larger leaves, I find it not quite so onerous. Unfortunately, I will have to replace the green. I used some of my hand dyed fabrics and even after starching, I cannot turn under a crisp, smooth edge so these will have to be raw-edge appliques. Here is my wall of shame with experiments, rejects and mistakes–there’s another quilt here somewhere.
I flipped the large orange leaf the wrong way so I’ll just use it on the bottom.
And here is the bottom half of the slice so far with faux wrought iron pieces that will cover the seams. I need to design a couple more leaves–I’m thinking Monstera (has natural holes) and Alocasia (has heavy white veining).
Well it’s off to the races for the day. I hope it’s a great one for you.