The Orange Leaf Project Finale
The Orange Leaf Project is finished. I worked on little else over the last few weeks. When I finally made enough leaves, I started appliquéing the middle and bottom portions down by hand. If you have been following this project, you know that I was having a lot of trouble in the beginning because my orange fabrics were not playing well together – I hated the whole thing. Then my new color wheel arrived and I decided to just start over. I managed to find the gradated background piece we are all using and clear orange fabrics. I also decided to stitch the appliqué by hand, because everything previously looked so flat. Then I started adding embroidery stitches. Next I decided another problem I had with my slice was the dark green background I had pieced. We were all to use dark green on the bottom but I switched mine out to a green/orange background and immediately liked it much better. I will probably need to add some dark green leaves for cohesiveness of design. Before finishing the bottom portion, I auditioned a dark orange fabric behind some of the leaves, but it just wasn’t working out. Luckily I had photographed my final placement because after removing all the leaves, I forgot how I had planned it out. After that, I just pinned all the leaves on instead of constantly repositioning and repining — they didn’t get in the way too much.
Since I still needed to fill in some spaces, I decided to add some circles. I’ll do a future post with the embroidery stitches I used for this project.
I forgot to take a separate photo of the flying geese leaf but you can see it in the above photo. Here is my finished slice.
Last Friday my group sewed all the slices together. I have traced the black wrought iron pieces and will have them cut out before our October meeting. We have a small wrought iron committee—we will press under the edges and someone can sew them on over the seam lines. I’ll get back to you when that part is finished.
As you can see I made a reminder to leave a seam allowance–I started cutting on the line and will need to retrace one piece. We are using a dark grunge fabric. Okay, priority one for today is to reset my camera so everything is not over-exposed.
About Group Projects: And what did I learn from this group project you may ask. I am pretty much done with group projects. They stress me out and this one really took a great deal of my time (nine months). I already have a slew of unfinished projects that I would like to get done. I enjoy designing quilts and not always following the rules. I hate working under a deadline. So time to do my own thing unless it’s a call to action and a group of us spend one or two workdays on a charity quilt. There’s one coming up in October–so far it’s a mystery. My family is happy with my decision. Here is the note to self next to the computer (thanks George H.W. and Dana Carvey):
Don’t do it
Wouldn’t be prudent
Wouldn’t be wise
Not at this juncture.
Coming Soon: The 8-1/2×11 Challenge (finished), Embellishing with Embroidery, Three Ways to Hang Small Wallhangings, Thread and Needle Tips, FMQ Tips, and The Miniature Hexie Project (not necessarily in that order).