The Grandmother’s Flower Garden Project
My miniature Grandmother’s Flower Garden is half appliqued down to the background. I have been stewing about how to quilt this for years. The other day my husband came in and said, quilt around each flower, drawing his finger in a circle. I thought this was a grand idea but after a couple of days ruminating on this, I decided that I will stitch around the green hexagons. This will hold all three (four?) layers of the quilt together without making it stiff. Actually that really doesn’t matter as this will not be washed or used for bedding, but it also will not distort the quilt much. It will be nice to finally finish this project and move on.
And what is the marker for? I noticed that a stitch was showing in the notch so I used the marker to color the thread–now it does not show on the green background. This is a neat trick when a light-colored thread shows up on a dark-colored background. I do recommend using a permanent marker made for fabrics. I know some people use Sharpies but I worry about that running on fabric. Test on a scrap first! To prevent my stitches from showing in the notch, I take the needle all the way straight to the back and come up straight to the front again, instead of going from front to back in one motion.
This is a scrap from a vintage quilt that was in my husband’s family. I am guessing that feedsacks were used as they were very deteriorated when I rescued the quilt. The quilt was given to his uncle (a priest in Duluth) but the fam had used it as a paint drop cloth, while working under cars, and for padding furniture during moving. I decided to wash it one day and just keep the useable portions and will make some brooches and stuffies with the remains.
I went to put my needle in the pincushion the other day but it was pointy-end up so I really jabbed my finger. I decided I would try to remove the stain with my saliva. Just take a wad of thread and put it in your mouth or spit on it and rub the stain away. Only one thing wrong–this was a large stain instead of a pinprick and I think I just didn’t have enough saliva to really do the job. This only works with your own saliva. Otherwise, remember rule #1–don’t bleed on your quilt. Soapy water removed the rest of the stain.
My next post will be about another UFO that I am working on at night in my chair (embroidered tablecloth). Right now I’m going to work on the mini-quilt, which I have to do flat on my work table to prevent distortion. It hasn’t been too bad but I only do this for about 20 minutes at a time. Speaking of spit, this can just gave me the raspberries as I was opening it. Backatcha.
Coming Soon: The 8-1/2×11 Challenge (finished), Surface Embellishing with Embroidery, Thread and Needle Tips, FMQ Tips, and The Grandmother’s Flower Garden Project (continuing)
Posted on September 25, 2015, in English Paper-Piecing and tagged bloodstains, can humour, embroidered tablecloth, fabric markers, hand applique, vintage quilt. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.