Comfort Food: Creamy Wild Rice Soup
This is a wonderful soup for cooler weather. You make it entirely in the microwave. My husband learned to microwave way before I did because he had a microwave at work and I didn’t. When we finally got one at home, I mostly used it to heat up water for tea. Recipe from “A Microwave Holiday – 1984,” prepared by Karen Edin, Minnesota Power Home Economist, Cloquet Office. Yes, I actually took a microwave cooking class. No, you may not substitute grits. Click on the link for a printable version of my friend Edna’s Wild Rice Hot Dish and the Wild Rice Soup.
WILD RICE SOUP
- Thoroughly rinse 1/2-cup wild rice (because you will include the rice and water in the recipe). Combine rice and 2 cups water in 2-3 quart casserole. Cover with casserole lid.
2. Microwave on high 4-5 minutes or until mixture boils. Let stand covered at least 1 hour.
3. Add 1 large onion (chopped), 1 cup celery (chopped), 1 clove garlic (minced), 1 carrot (chopped), 1 tsp salt and 1/8-tsp pepper. Cover.
4. Microwave on high 4-5 minutes or until mixture boils. Then microwave on low (30-40%) 22-25 minutes or until rice is tender (liquid may not all be absorbed). Set aside.
5. Place 5 strips bacon in single layer in glass pie pan. Cover with paper towel.
6. Microwave on high 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 minutes or until crisp.
7. Add 3 tablespoons bacon drippings to rice (optional). Set bacon aside (crumble when cool). Combine 1/3-cup all-purpose flour and 1 cup of half and half. Blend until smooth. Stir into rice along with remaining half and half (3 cups).
8. Microwave on high, uncovered, 10-12 minutes or until mixture boils, stirring twice. (Do not overcook.) Blend in 6-oz cheddar cheese (cubed), crumbled bacon and 2 tablespoons white wine (if desired).
9. Microwave on high, uncovered, 2-3 minutes or until heated through. Stir to melt cheese. Enjoy.
To make ahead, prepare through step 8. Cool and refrigerate. In step 9, cover and microwave 12-15 minutes, stirring 2-3 times.
About 12 (small) servings
Next post: Microwave Apple Crisp