Category Archives: Orange Leaves

The Orange Leaf Project Finale

The Orange Leaf Project is finished. I worked on little else over the last few weeks. When I finally made enough leaves, I started appliquéing the middle and bottom portions down by hand. If you have been following this project, you know that I was having a lot of trouble the first weeks (months?) because my orange fabrics were not playing well together – I hated the whole thing. Then my new color wheel arrived and I decided to just start over. I managed to find the gradated background piece we are all using. I also decided to continue stitching the appliqué by hand, because everything previously looked so flat. Next I decided another problem I had with my slice was the dark green background I had pieced. We were all to use dark green but I switched mine out to a green/orange background and immediately liked it much better.

Here is my curved flying geese leaf.  I drew the design on lightweight woven interfacing and precut rectangles for the geese and light background strips.

Mini Flying Geese Strips

Mini Flying Geese Strips

Mini Curved Flying Geese

Mini Curved Flying Geese

Mini Flying Geese oops

Mini Flying Geese oops

Oops–something is wrong here–rip and redo!  I forgot to take a photo of the finished leaf but you’ll see it in one of the final project photos.

Before finishing the bottom portion, I auditioned a dark orange fabric behind some of the leaves, but it just wasn’t working out.  Rip and redo!

Background Audition

Background Audition

Luckily I had photographed my final placement because I had several days doing other things and I forgot how I had planned it out. After that, I just pinned all the leaves on instead of constantly repositioning and repinning. Since I still needed to fill in some spaces, I decided to add some circles and more embroidery.

Elephant Ear oops

Elephant Ear oops

I had planned to stich the elephant ear leaf inside the bound edge by machine but didn’t allow enough seam allowance so stitched this one down by hand too.

Orange Slice, Bottom

Orange Slice, Bottom

Embroidery Details

Embroidery Details

FINALLY FINISHED

FINALLY FINISHED

I apologize for the photography.  My settings are off from the last time I photographed at night.

This Friday my group will be putting all the slices together. I’ll get back to you when that part is finished. And what did I learn from this group project? I am pretty much done with group projects. I already have a slew of unfinished projects that I would like to get done. I enjoy designing quilts and not always following the rules. I hate working under a deadline. So time to do my own thing unless it’s a call to action and a group of us spend one or two workdays on a charity quilt. My family is happy with my decision. Here is the note to self next to the computer (thanks George H.W. and Dana Carvey):

Don’t do it

Wouldn’t be prudent

Wouldn’t be wise

Not at this juncture.

Coming Soon: The 8-1/2×11 Challenge, Printing Labels, Surface Embellishing with Embroidery, Two Ways to Hang Wallhangings, Thread and Needle Tips, FMQ Tips, and The Miniature Hexie Project.