Blog Archives

Self-Portrait II

Where did the week go?  I’m ready to start stitching my new self-portrait and I don’t even remember if I showed you the first one (actually I didn’t).  It is quilted and just needs a label and binding. Okay, now I’ve found my place–I have a draft of more SAQA People and Portraits, I need to show you my first self-portrait, I experimented some more with Lite Steam a Seam II (more on that tomorrow), and it’s off to the races.  I’ve been channeling Picasso and because I don’t draw or cut perfectly, I have a couple gaps in putting the pieces together.  No mistakes here–this is a design opportunity.  I started with 56 pieces but am not sure how many there are now because I changed one eye and the nose after I started cutting.  I am not using fusible this time because it would not adhere to my hand-dyed fabrics and I also want to do some beaded encrusting.  This is one of my favorite things to do–just fill in an area completely with free-form beading.  Here’s an example from my interpretation of Van Gogh’s Blue Vase:

BeadingBlueVase

Beading Blue Vase

FinalVanGogh

Final Van Gogh

I see I need to re-photograph this quilt because I added some more beading to the green leaves.

Back to my new self-portrait.  I traced all the parts onto freezer paper, ironed those onto the fabric, cut them out and glued them down with Roxanne’s Glue Baste It.

Roxanne's Glue Baste It dots

Roxanne’s Glue Baste It dots

This should hold everything in place while I stitch down each piece–no fusible this time, raw edge all the way.  I used a set of five rose parfait fat quarters plus a Moda Marble Dot that was in my stash and coordinated, and a Michael Miller black and white check. I’m doing this collage self-portrait challenge with my art quilt group ala Yvonne Porcella so I had to put in some checks in her honor.

Fabrics

Fabrics

Pieces glued down

Pieces glued down

I’ll be back tomorrow after I start stitching and have my thoughts a little more organized.  Buh-bye.

The Animal Collage Project

Update on The Animal Collage Project.  I wasn’t happy with how the body was going together, so took a break over Thanksgiving to think about it.  Today, I decided to use hexies for the body in all the fabrics I was already using.  Now I have run out of Steam-A-Seam; otherwise, I would be working on this for the afternoon’s entertainment.  I guess I had better get some serious yardage to finish this project.  I don’t have a before photo but here is the hexie body in progress.

Hexies

Hexies

Speaking of animals, here are some photos from this summer–finally retrieved from my phone after replacing the micro-SD card.  These are from the gift shop at 21c Museum Hotel.  You can’t take me anywhere–I have to mess with store displays (I used to do this myself in a past life).

Display at 21c

Penguins

21c

Escaping Penguins

Now we’re having fun.  I’ll be back in a day or two–have to go to town tomorrow for supplies.