Posted by bycandyp.com
The Orange Leaf Project is finished. I worked on little else over the last few weeks. When I finally made enough leaves, I started appliquéing the middle and bottom portions down by hand. If you have been following this project, you know that I was having a lot of trouble the first weeks (months?) because my orange fabrics were not playing well together – I hated the whole thing. Then my new color wheel arrived and I decided to just start over. I managed to find the gradated background piece we are all using. I also decided to continue stitching the appliqué by hand, because everything previously looked so flat. Next I decided another problem I had with my slice was the dark green background I had pieced. We were all to use dark green but I switched mine out to a green/orange background and immediately liked it much better.
Here is my curved flying geese leaf. I drew the design on lightweight woven interfacing and precut rectangles for the geese and light background strips.
Oops–something is wrong here–rip and redo! I forgot to take a photo of the finished leaf but you’ll see it in one of the final project photos.
Before finishing the bottom portion, I auditioned a dark orange fabric behind some of the leaves, but it just wasn’t working out. Rip and redo!
Luckily I had photographed my final placement because I had several days doing other things and I forgot how I had planned it out. After that, I just pinned all the leaves on instead of constantly repositioning and repinning. Since I still needed to fill in some spaces, I decided to add some circles and more embroidery.
I had planned to stich the elephant ear leaf inside the bound edge by machine but didn’t allow enough seam allowance so stitched this one down by hand too.
I apologize for the photography. My settings are off from the last time I photographed at night.
This Friday my group will be putting all the slices together. I’ll get back to you when that part is finished. And what did I learn from this group project? I am pretty much done with group projects. I already have a slew of unfinished projects that I would like to get done. I enjoy designing quilts and not always following the rules. I hate working under a deadline. So time to do my own thing unless it’s a call to action and a group of us spend one or two workdays on a charity quilt. My family is happy with my decision. Here is the note to self next to the computer (thanks George H.W. and Dana Carvey):
Don’t do it
Wouldn’t be prudent
Wouldn’t be wise
Not at this juncture.
Coming Soon: The 8-1/2×11 Challenge, Printing Labels, Surface Embellishing with Embroidery, Two Ways to Hang Wallhangings, Thread and Needle Tips, FMQ Tips, and The Miniature Hexie Project.