Blog Archives

OD-ing on orange…

I have had the green claustrophobic blues–the shrubs on the roadside kiss the sides of my car, the trees form a tunnel of green, meeting in the middle of the road from both sides–so what better antidote than to take all my orange scraps and make a reversible table runner to go with my Aurora Borealis reversible quilt (see previous post). When I made the quilt last year, I had all these skinny strips left and made a sample block.
P1120902

I finally found where I had shoved all the orange scraps–into a drawer in the spare bathroom. We had company on Christmas Eve so I had to put some things out of sight so we could actually eat in the dining room. C’mon, a lot of you eat on TV trays, too. On finding my sample block, I decided I didn’t want to do this so I started playing. Didn’t like these either.
P1120904
In the end I decided to do some minimal piecing surrounded by the navy blend. (That’s a warm fuzzy given to me by a student years ago–I keep it on my design wall.)
P1120909

I added the trimmed strips left after squaring up the quilt as a 1-inch unfinished inner border.
P1120915Lastly I kept improvising orange blocks for the backing and added a border. I have now pinned the quilt sandwich, trying to keep the front and back lined up. I need to bring my machine in again and will quilt it when I get it back in a week or so. In the meantime, I will layer two potholders, one table mat and this odd shaped piece that I will turn into a rectangular mat for my hutch.
P1120947The orange scraps have traveled outside to one of my trees. I noticed this a week ago, but yesterday, I noted that the orange has multiplied. Maybe it’s the heat–it was 99 yesterday and so far, only 96 today. I’m melting. Till next time…

 

2018 Mug Rug Swap

between NWAMQG and TULSAMQG. Last month we turned in our forms for this swap and received a form from a Tulsa member with color preferences, etc. My swap partner, Lora Whitfield, indicated all colors but that she loves a teal and red combo, NO BABY PINK, any style. I used up most of my red and teal fabrics for the wonky churn dash exchange, but happened to find these in my strip box – the one that is now sorted by color.
P1120735

These strips had been on the design wall for a couple weeks with no inspiration forthcoming. Writers have Erato for their muse–I need to invent a muse for quilting.

Friday I had 15 minutes before heading out to the Green Country Quilters Guild Quilt Show in Tulsa so I started sewing some pieces together. I was thinking about the MQG Challenge for 2019, using tiny piecing in a donation quilt. I was going to subcut this strip set and make a tiny grid (photo above) but Saturday I had a different idea. I started cutting up 3/4-inch strips and mimicked a quilt I have seen several times.

After piecing, pressing, and trimming, I layered this with Peltex (a stiff interfacing) and a backing with glittery Valentine’s fabric. I prefer Timtex (a little heavier than Peltex) but have not been able to find any for awhile. I left the red strips unquilted and quilted a line next to the border seam. This gives you a place to turn around with diagonal stitching. If you start at the edge, pivot/stitch/pivot and stitch back to the edge, you have no threads to weave in.
P1120810

Finally I traced around this metal end caps (given to me by dd, probably from incense stitcks container from BBB) to round the corners and satin stitched around the edge. The butterfly pin reminds where the round starts. Satin stitch using #8 zigzag on Janome with three rounds:

Round 1: 5.0 wide, 1.5 length

Round 2: 5.5 wide, 1.0 length

Round 3: 6.0 wide, .5 length

P1120813

Now I just need to make a label and turn in my mug rug at our August meeting. I have some small projects (camera strap cover, microwave bowls, pieced biscornu pincushion) to work on until I get my needle arm fixed–I just don’t dare do free-motion quilting and this is seriously putting me behind. Waiting to hear from Janome.

This was my viewer’s choice at the quilt show. Quilt by Janet Hoeltzel, quilted by Glenda Harkey, pattern by Mary B. Hayes; Thangles used.

BAB 14 – Shattered
P1120769

DIET UPDATE: After seven weeks, I have a net loss of 4.5 pounds and almost 3-inches. Whoopy-dip is all I can say that’s fit to publish.

Next posts: My Artful Log Cabin with exactly 50 log cabins celebrating our anniversary and photos from quilt show.