Blog Archives

Self-Portrait II

Where did the week go?  I’m ready to start stitching my new self-portrait and I don’t even remember if I showed you the first one (actually I didn’t).  It is quilted and just needs a label and binding. Okay, now I’ve found my place–I have a draft of more SAQA People and Portraits, I need to show you my first self-portrait, I experimented some more with Lite Steam a Seam II (more on that tomorrow), and it’s off to the races.  I’ve been channeling Picasso and because I don’t draw or cut perfectly, I have a couple gaps in putting the pieces together.  No mistakes here–this is a design opportunity.  I started with 56 pieces but am not sure how many there are now because I changed one eye and the nose after I started cutting.  I am not using fusible this time because it would not adhere to my hand-dyed fabrics and I also want to do some beaded encrusting.  This is one of my favorite things to do–just fill in an area completely with free-form beading.  Here’s an example from my interpretation of Van Gogh’s Blue Vase:

BeadingBlueVase

Beading Blue Vase

FinalVanGogh

Final Van Gogh

I see I need to re-photograph this quilt because I added some more beading to the green leaves.

Back to my new self-portrait.  I traced all the parts onto freezer paper, ironed those onto the fabric, cut them out and glued them down with Roxanne’s Glue Baste It.

Roxanne's Glue Baste It dots

Roxanne’s Glue Baste It dots

This should hold everything in place while I stitch down each piece–no fusible this time, raw edge all the way.  I used a set of five rose parfait fat quarters plus a Moda Marble Dot that was in my stash and coordinated, and a Michael Miller black and white check. I’m doing this collage self-portrait challenge with my art quilt group ala Yvonne Porcella so I had to put in some checks in her honor.

Fabrics

Fabrics

Pieces glued down

Pieces glued down

I’ll be back tomorrow after I start stitching and have my thoughts a little more organized.  Buh-bye.

The Self-Portrait Project

My art quilt group has a new challenge (which we started talking about in January or February) and I finally got inspired this week.  The original idea came from the self-portraits of Yvonne Porcella, a multi-talented quilt artist who just recently passed. Red was a neutral color to Yvonne–look for her books online and at your local library.  I believe her website is still up and there is a challenge out there in her honor.  Technical difficulties today–cut and paste the following link to your browser.

Call for Entries! Celebrating Yvonne Porcella

The only rules we have for our group challenge is that the portrait should be on a darkish background (no white or pastels) and can be any dimension or shape as long as it fits within a 20 x 20-inch square.  I chose a purplish-blue from one of my hand dyed parfaits.  My inspiration was sugar skulls that you see in Dias de los Muertos (Day of the Dead, November 1) celebrations.  Candy, sugar skull–get it?  So I drew out a classic head and started with the mouth.  I am using Lite Steam-A-Seam 2 by The Warm Companyon on all of the fabrics.  Follow the directions that come with the product, which is a fusible with two backing papers.  Take off the paper which comes off easily, finger press the fusible to the wrong side of the fabric, draw your shape on the remaining paper, and cut out your shapes.

Hand pressing applique

Hand pressing applique

Cuttiing out applique

Cutting out applique

Placing applique on background

Placing applique on background

Head steamed in place

Head steamed in place

If the shapes are small, run a dry iron over the piece.  The best thing about this project is that you can stick your shapes to your project and move them around until you’re ready to permanently fuse.  Then use steam for 15-20 seconds.  So far I have only fused my head shape to the background and zigzagged the edge with mono-poly clear thread.    Here is my drawing, traced to a sheer non-fusible interfacing that I basted to the background.  Cut your shapes, lift the tracing, and put in place.

Overlay

Overlay

Mouth

Mouth

Backing up, I traced the teeth onto a white star fabric and ran a dry iron over it, the pieces being really small.

Teeth and mouth

Teeth and mouth

I started in the middle to place the teeth, cutting out one tooth at a time.  As you can see above, I numbered the teeth but you have to remember that everything is backwards so the number order didn’t totally help.

Placing teeth

Placing teeth

After placing the teeth, I pressed on some fusible to the back of the black fabric and cut out the entire mouth, placing it on the head.

Mouth

Mouth

Sunflower hair

Sunflower hair

Last night I cut out a ton of flowers.  Today, I cut out some more and some centers.

Flowers

Flowers

In 2004, I took a fabric painting class from Phil Beaver (actually his assistant as he had just had a heart attack) and I used some of the sunflower templates for my hair.  So here is my portrait so far–I have teeth and hair and a few flowers.  That’s it for the day.  Next time, I’ll show you more progress and talk about another challenge I have going with a secret FB group.  Maybe tomorrow I’ll get out and finish up my garden project and plant my pansies.   We have another freeze warning tonight–hope it’s the last one.  I was going to photograph my new dogwood every day but there really has not been much to photograph with the cold nights we’ve had–maybe next week.  Can I hope that it will bloom this year or just be content with the area dogwoods.  Here’s one of my photos from years past.  For now, I have dogwood envy.

DogwoodLatshaw1

DogwoodLatshaw1